Saturday, June 19, 2010

Happy Father's Day Daddy!




As I was writing in my dad's Father's day card I thought it would be fun to list some of the things that remind me of him. As I was doing it I thought my sisters would get a kick out of the list too so here it is. I love you Dad!!!!! Happy Father's Day.

Things that remind me of Dad:
1.Old Spice Cologne
2. Cantaloupe and vanilla ice cream
3. watching him break up ice for the ice cream maker (and praying he didn't smash his finger with the hammer in the process).
4. Loading the boat with him when packing for Lake Powell.
5. "Taxi.... Hit it!"
6. Peeling potatoes with him
7. "Burp..Ribbit"
8. Going to ward choir with him
9. Blowing air into the newspaper bag and then popping it
10. The one song he remembered how to play on the piano from his childhood- something about an Indian?
11. squeaking air out of his lips to make one loud squeak and that meant it time to get ready for bed.
12. Raiding his stash of canker and cold sore medicine whenever I got one.
13. His great hugs!

4 comments:

spackers said...

I loved it, and my mouth is watering right now for some canteloupe and vanilla ice cream. Good memories.

Jenn said...

Wow, I haven't thought about any of those in so long.....you got them all right on! They make me want to be 10 again. Especially helping dad pack the boat for Lake Powell. Last week in Lake Powell I can't tell you how many times I thought, "I wish mom and dad were here... and in charge of the boat... and making my food... and putting up the tent... and"... well, you get the idea. We were so lucky to have Dad. We had a charmed childhood. Charmed, indeed.

Strongs said...

Don't forget that one-of-a-kind mayo-alternative...Miracle Whip. Since I am the only fan at our house it is not a regular in our fridge. Now, whenever I see or smell the stuff I am instantly transported 20 years back and find myself making a fabulous garden tomato sandwich with Daddy. He is still wearing his shorts and tank from that long Saturday run. Strange how happy those everyday memories are. I think I'd rather go back and eat a tomato sandwich with Dad than go back to Disneyland or some other "spectacular" event from my childhood. I agree with you Jenn, we had a charmed childhood. Thanks for bringing it back Mand.

Strongs said...

ok...I ment that I was transported back 30 years. I keep thinking I am 28, but I am not.